Applies to: SharePoint On-Premises
This article describes how to upgrade Crow Canyon farm solutions in the SharePoint Server (2013, 2016 and 2019).
- Logged in user should be a domain user, local admin and a member of Farm Administrators group in SharePoint.
- Logged in user should have ownership rights on SharePoint Admin content database, SharePoint configuration database and target web application’s content database.
- SharePoint Server should be in stable state (No Action Required or Upgrade Available) (Central Admin, System Settings, Manage Servers in the farm)
- SharePoint Timer Service and SharePoint Admin Service Should be in running state.
We can use either STSADM or PowerShell command tools to perform the upgrade SharePoint farm solutions.
1. STSADM Tool:
Open Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) –> Change the directory to “Hive” location using the command below
Hive location path:
For SP 2013:
cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN"
For SP 2016/2019:
cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\16\BIN"
Run below command to upgrade the solution:
STSADM.EXE -o upgradesolution -name "crowcanyon.advancedforms.wsp" –filename "LiteralPath of the .wsp solution" –allowgacdeployment –immediate
2. PowerShell Tool
Open SharePoint Management Shell (Run as Administrator)
Update-SPSolution –Identity contoso_solution.wsp –LiteralPath "C:\contoso_solution.wsp" –GACDeployment
Troubleshooting steps for upgrade solution:
- If we want to upgrade the solution in SharePoint but the solution deployment is stuck, then we can follow steps #1 to #5 of troubleshooting steps from https://www.crowcanyon.help/article/311/ , but we need to add the latest wsp solution.-> To add the latest solution, delete the existing solution and then add the latest solutionCommand to delete solution:
stsadm.exe -o deletesolution –name"##Solution Name##" -override
-> Add the latest solution
Refer “Add Solution” instructions from this article.
-> Follow step 5 of troubleshooting article https://www.crowcanyon.help/article/311/ to deploy the solution in SharePoint server when the solution got stuck at deploying.