Applies to: SharePoint On-Premises 2013, 2016, 2019
This article describes the steps to install Crow Canyon NITRO Secure solution for SharePoint On-Premises (2013 / 2016 / 2019). This will deploy all solutions and services to your internal SharePoint server farm. NITRO updates are applied manually giving more control to administrators to decide when to apply updates and to which site collections.
If you are looking for NITRO Secure, please contact Crow Canyon sales or support team for the installation package.
- SharePoint should be installed and configured (SharePoint 2013/2016/2019) and server should be in stable state.
- Site Collection
– To install in a new site collection, Administrator should create a new site collection with team site template.
– Or installation can be done in an existing site collection created with team site template.
- To install/upgrade SharePoint wsp solutions, logged in user account should have following privileges:
– Domain User
– Local Administrator
– SharePoint Farm Administrator
– Owner rights on SharePoint configuration database, Central Administration content database and Web Application content database
– User should have Site Collection Administrator rights on the Site Collection
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 or above should be installed on the SharePoint server.
- Make sure that SharePoint Administration and SharePoint Timer services are running in all servers in SharePoint Farm.
NITRO Secure installation package contains one file “NITROStudioSetup.zip”
Summary of Steps
- Extract and run NITROStudioSetup.msi
- Run Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Helper
- Install NITRO Secure in the Site Collection
- Activate NITRO Secure for a site
- Register License
Extract and run NITROStudioSetup.msi
1. Copy the downloaded “NITROStudioSetup.zip” file to the SharePoint Server.
Note: If there are multiple SharePoint servers in the farm, copy the “NITROStudioSetup.zip” file to one of the servers in the SharePoint farm that is running “Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application” service.
2. Open Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) –> navigate to the Package location –> enter the below command to verify MD5 signature for the package.
CertUtil -hashfile NITROStudioSetup.zip MD5
In this example, package download link is like “https://…/MD5_de609b2210c24edd9d40b691613a7574/NITROStudioSetup.zip” and the command output is matching with checksum in the download link as expected. Please contact email@example.com if this checksum is not matching.
Note: MD5 signature is to be verified for the downloaded ‘NITROStudioSetup.zip’ file and not the ‘NITROStudioSetup.msi’ file extracted from the zip file.
After MD5 signature is validated, right click on zip file and extract ‘NITROStudioSetup.msi’ file.
3. Right click on the NITROStudioSetup.msi file, open properties panel, and click on ‘Unblock’ button if it is there.
4. Run the setup (right click and then click Install). It will open the NITRO Studio Setup Wizard and click next to continue the installation.
5. By default, this setup will install the NITRO Studio helper in below location. We can also change this location if required.
Once the installation is completed, it will add “Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Helper” in the desktop.
Run Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Helper
- Navigate to desktop and run “Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Helper” utility. This will open below screen.
Click “Install NITRO Studio” button. This will open “Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Installation Wizard”. This will add and deploy NITRO Studio solutions in the SharePoint server.
- For first time installation of NITRO in the SharePoint farm, go with default option – “First time installation of NITRO Studio in this farm”.
- If there are already NITRO activated sites in the farm, then go with second option.
Click Finish button, this will open the Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Helper tool.
Note: After finishing the installation, please verify that all the below solutions are added in SharePoint server and deployed in the SharePoint server except Workflow Manager solution.
Go to Central Administration -> System Settings -> Manage Farm Solutions and check the below solutions.
Note: If the installer went very quickly and after clicking on “Finish” button if it does not open the Crow Canyon NITRO Studio Helper tool, then go to install location (default: C:\Program Files\Crow Canyon\NITRO Studio), right click on CrowCanyon.NITROStudioSetup.exe file, run as administrator.
Install NITRO Secure in the Site Collection
Follow below steps to install and activate NITRO Secure for a site collection.
Select the required web application and site collection in the NITRO Studio Helper tool for activating NITRO for that site collection. This will automatically open the “Manage NITRO Features” tab.
Click “Activate” button to activate Workflow Manager, NITRO Studio and Mail Templates Administration features for the site collection.
Note: Activating Workflow Manager feature will deploy the Workflow Manager solution to the selected web application and will activate the workflow manager feature for the selected site collection.
After activating the features, switch to the “Settings/Upload Package” tab. It will automatically show “NITRO Secure Status” as “Farm – Activated” as shown below.
In case if we are not seeing this status as ‘Farm – Activated’, click “Activate” button.
After the status is shown as ‘Farm – Activated’, click “Install” button to Install the NITRO Secure. This will create required lists/libraries in the root site for the NITRO functionality:
Note: if you have installed the NITRO Studio in a different location, please browse to the “CrowCanyonNITRO.zip” folder and click “Install” button.
Activate NITRO for a site
- Go to Site Collection where NITRO Secure is installed and go to gear icon (cog) in the top right corner as shown below:
- Click on Crow Canyon NITRO Studio to navigate to the NITRO Studio Admin page. This page lists all the sub-sites along with root site of the site collection:
- To activate NITRO Studio, click on “Activate” link for the corresponding site:
- Activation process will begin and show the progress:
- Wait until success message appears and then click on Ok.
Go to Site Collection –> Site settings –> Site Collection Administration –> Site collection features and ensure below site collection features are activated:
- With the above step, NITRO is activated for the site. Refer https://www.crowcanyon.info/nitro/appmanual_v2/for user manual of NITRO Apps.
To install pre-built Crow Canyon NITRO Applications, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
By default, the NITRO Studio comes with a 45-day trial license. Please refer to this article to get the required license and to apply the same in your environment.