Crow Canyon Software Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Column validation

Maybe I am getting my logic wrong or have misunderstood this function but I can't seem to get it to work for this scenario.
I have a checkbox "GST Registered" - if this is checked AND the field "GST number" is empty then validation should kick in. The image, attached, shows what I have. I have tried using equal to Yes, equal to yes, not equal to No and not equal to no (in case the check is case sensitive) but validation never fires and the form is able to be submitted.

Uploaded files:
  • GST_Nitro.PNG

Hi Jay, you want to have the Operator at the top as "greater" not "equal". The logic is this:

1. The Validation runs when the GST Required checkbox is checked because the "When to apply this Validation" condition is set to [GST Required equal Yes].
  2. It applies the Validation to the GST Number field. You want to make sure a number is in there when the GST Required is checked, therefore the Length of the GST Number needs to be greater than 0.
  3. If the Length of the GST Number is not greater that 0 (in other words, it is blank), then the error message will appear on the form.

I hope you find that this works.

Jay has reacted to this post.
Jay

Thanks that works now. I see my mistake I was checking what the value was rather than specifying what it needed to be.
The validation didn't occur until after the form was submitted, reopened and then put into edit mode... so I unticked dynamic condition evaluation and now it works when first created - is there somewhere I can read up on what dynamic condition evaluation is? Until now I've just been toggling it without really understanding it

Dynamic Condition Evaluation means that the condition will be evaluated in real-time. There is not a lot more to it than that. So in your scenario, if Dynamic Condition Evaluation is selected,  then whenever the checkbox is either checked or unchecked, the condition is evaluated.

Thanks, it wouldn't evaluate for me on the "new" form. Only once it had been saved and reopened in edit mode.
So I had to untick the box to dynamically evaluate which made me wonder what it does.

Hi Jay, there was a known issue in our older version of NITRO Studio (version 2.0.0.36 or older) with dynamic validations on number columns, we have released the fix in the later version already. We suggest upgrading the NITRO Studio to the latest version to resolve this issue. Please contact us via email (sharepointsupport@crowcanyon.com) for a link to download the latest package.

Thanks all good now.
What is the behaviour if dynamic validation is not checked?
Will the validation occur on submit/save?

I have 6 mandatory fields if a particular check box is selected. When the user selects that check box the section turns into a wall (exaggeration) of validation messages so I was looking at something a bit more UX friendly.

Yes, if dynamic evaluation is not checked, validation will occur when save button is clicked and will display message at the column.

Thanks, seems it will also evaulate and display the message if the field gets and then loses focus with no value entered.
Open the form, no validation message, click or tab into the filed, tab out of the field, validation message shows. No problem for me. Just highlighting it