Crow Canyon Software Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Multiple edit forms or variables?

I know we can have separate forms for new/edit/view but is it possible to have more than one form for edit on the same list?
I am creating a simple approval form where a staff member will apply to attend a training course. On the new form I will use AD to auto fill the 'Me' and any other bits. I will do this as a submit action so it is not overwritten by subsequent viewers of the list item.
Once the list item is created I will create a workflow so that a notification is sent to the users manager - the manager will edit the form and, again using AD we will populate the managers details and they will click approve or decline. These buttons will not appear on the new item form.
If they approve then the workflow will send an email to HR so they can give final approval.
Obviously if I am using 'Me' on the edit form then the manager's details will be overwritten.
So am I best to use 2 separate edit forms (if possible) or somehow use variables? Or something smarter?

ultimately the filled out form would appear as:

User: John Smith
Manager approval: Jane Doe
HR approval: Jeff Singh

Without any of them having to fill out their own details or any of them over writing the previous details.

Hi Jay. Is the HR approver always going to be the same person? You can have that defaulted to a particular individual all the time. If it's based on something else in the form, let me know. We can use a Query List action to get the details from a SharePoint list you maintain of HR Approvers mapped to some criteria (e.g. Department) on the form.

You can also pull in Manager from AD, so you can set this automatically when the person fills out the form. I'll get the details on that set up.

Update: For the AD attribute, you can simply use the "Other Property" option in the User info filler, and then fill it in with Manager.

The HR person won't necessarily be the same person and the manager will be a group manager rather than a direct manager.
So the applicant fills out the form (their own details are populated) and names their group manager (people picker). That manager gets a workflow email with a link to the edit form. At this point the original applicant's details would be overwritten by the currently logged on user (manager). Not good. We could choose not to display the applicant field on the edit form but this would be messy as we'd want to remind the manager who we are talking about. Maybe have separate list columns to store the original applicant and have these appear on the edit form instead.
I may have just talked myself into a workable solution 🙂

At this point the original applicant's details would be overwritten by the currently logged on user (manager). Not good.

I'm not sure on this point. Once the applicant is set in the new form, it shouldn't override with the manager's info in the edit form. Can you send over the configurations for the User Info Filler via email to sharepointsupport@crowcanyon.com?