Crow Canyon Software Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Prevent user from adding more than one form in a list?

Hi Again,

Is there any way we can prevent a user from adding more than one new form in a list?  If they have already created a form, we'd like to force them to edit the existing form, not create a new form.

Brian.

Note: we have added a column that must be unique, but this may be confusing to some users when they try to save the form.  We would prefer a better way to maybe have a button on the site home or portal page, user clicks the button, if their form exists edit it if not, create a new one.

Hi Brian!

What you are trying to attempt presents a few challenges mainly with permissions on a SharePoint list. This is the only way I can think of how to accomplish what you are needing.

1. Using a workflow or have an admin manually create a list item for each person that will need to have an item in the list.
  2. Make a custom user permission level in the Site Collection that only has rights to edit existing items in the list (See Screenshot 1 attached) apply this permission to all users (minus administrators)
  3. Create a list view that has the rule to only show items created by the logged in user (Show the items when Created By = [Me]) (Screenshot 2)
  4. Make that the default list view.

Hope that works!

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-1.png
  • Screenshot-2.png
Brian has reacted to this post.
Brian

Hi DanielBrooks!

Thank you! We were trying not to pre-populate the list as the forms are HR/Legal forms and we'd prefer the history shows the user create the forms themselves.  But we may have to go this route if we do not have another option.

Just wanted to add, I was able to do this with a link tile, using custom Javascript, change the text/url of the link tile to allow add if no form, edit if form exists - here's the other post on the forums here:

https://www.crowcanyon.help/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-hide-a-tile-on-a-page-if-a-list-has-entries/#postid-407