Applies To: SharePoint Online and SharePoint On-Premises
Generally permissions can be configured at the root site as sub sites inherit the permissions unless the permissions are broken. There might be cases where we need to have unique permissions for some of the lists. In such case, we can go for the list settings –> Permissions for the list and grant unique permissions on the list by breaking the inheritance from the parent (sub site/root site).
Also there are standard SharePoint item level permissions settings for the list like whether to show/hide the items created by the users. To enable this setting, please go to list settings –> Advanced Settings –> Item level permissions section and configure the required option.
If the above doesn’t satisfy the requirement and if we need to grant unique permissions for the list items based on certain value in the ticket on ticket creation/update, we can configure them using our NITRO Workflows. We have “Manage Permissions” action that has the ability to set the unique permissions for the list items created with required criteria based on Department/Category of the ticket on ticket creation/update as needed
Different Possible Solutions:
Case 1: If anyone from any department can access any ticket (no security factor but data segregation is the requirement)
1. Assigned Team and filtered views – https://www.crowcanyon.help/article/304/
We can configure multiple list views based on the Assigned Staff or if the logged in user is a member of Assigned Team. In such case, the logged in user will be shown the tickets assigned to him/his team assigned tickets in a single view.
- We can configured multiple views based on the requirement and add them to the quick launch links for the easy tracking of the tickets
- If user opens “All Open Tickets” or “All Tickets” from Quick launch, they will see the tickets created for user’s team as defined in the view filter settings
2. Additional Service Area (Contact Crow Canyon Sales)
To have an additional service area exclusively for a department/ for certain users, then it would be better to have an additional service area. This would require additional license cost. Please contact email@example.com for more details.
Case 2: If one department people are not allowed to see other department tickets (security is major factor)
- Additional Service Area
- Please contact Sales@crowcanyon.com to proceed with the additional service area installation
- Item level permissions
- We can use our “Manage Permissions” action of our Crow Canyon NITRO Workflows and configure item level permissions based on the value of a column “Department” and grant unique permissions on item create and item update events.
Please refer https://www.crowcanyon.help/article/402/ for more details regarding this configuration. Please refer https://www.crowcanyon.info/nitro/appmanual_v2/index.html?manage-permissions.html for the complete user manual for “Manage Permissions” action in Crow Canyon NITRO Workflow Manager.