Applies To: SharePoint On-premises
Crow Canyon NITRO Studio has several enhanced capabilities on top of what we have in our older version. There is a first-class forms designer tool, an enhanced Custom Actions tool, various performance improvements, custom list view, advanced printing, and many other improvements and new features.
Upgrading to a NITRO Studio based applications involves the following
- In place upgrade in the same SharePoint site. There is no data migration involved so your existing data remains as is, only the application components that work with that data get updated.
- The list schema (lists, columns, column settings) largely remain the same. Minor updates are required to some columns without modification of data.
- Upgrade application settings like Forms, Custom Actions, Print settings etc. Please refer this section for more details.
- Install NITRO Studio solutions as per details in this article.
- Downtime: During wsp solutions deployment, there will be a downtime of few minutes. For rest of the configurations, there is no downtime and application can be used with current settings.
What is not upgraded currently
Workspace pages like Manager and Staff dashboards
- These pages use several old web parts like reports, list search, tiles and dials etc. Currently there is no automated way of moving these to new NITRO based components
- Though NITRO based components with enhanced functionality will be installed during the upgrade, existing pages with old web parts will continue to be used for now. For any future configurations, customers can start using NITRO components
- If required, customer can manually configure the new NITRO based dashboard pages. Crow Canyon also assist for these configurations as part of professional services. For details, please refer this section
- Application administration page will also be updated with new interface and will use NITRO based components
- Crow Canyon plans to create an automated tool that will create dashboard and application administration pages. We will contact customers once this is ready
Crow Canyon discussion column
- This is a Crow Canyon custom solution that provides timeline kind of functionality for storing comments
- We plan to remove this solution going forward as it uses a custom data storage format. It is easier to use the standard SharePoint version enabled column instead
- We will contact customers once we have the tool that will do the required update
Solutions to be Added/Removed/Retained as part of this upgrade and related changes in site
|CCSSREventReceiver.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Forms validations: Configure custom validations on Tickets and Change Request lists for restricting the close action if item is waiting for approval.|
|CCSSRWorkflows.wsp||Retain||Continues to provide standard service request business process functionality|
|CrowCanyon.AdvancedAlerts.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Workflow Manager|
|CrowCanyon.AdvancedEmail.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Email Manager|
|CrowCanyon.AdvancedForms.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Forms|
|CrowCanyon.AdvancedPrint.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Print Manager|
|CrowCanyon.BatchTicketEditor.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Custom Actions|
|CrowCanyon.CalculatedTable.wsp||Retain (will be removed later)||Replaced by NITRO Reports.
This can be removed once dashboard pages are updated to use new NITRO Reports
|CrowCanyon.CascadedLookup.wsp||Remove||Replaced by Lookup Settings in NITRO Forms|
|CrowCanyon.ColorChoiceField.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Conditional Formatting|
|CrowCanyon.ColorKPI.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Conditional Formatting|
|CrowCanyon.CommonUtils.wsp||Retain||This solution has some common functionality used by other Crow Canyon solutions|
|CrowCanyon.CustomActions.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Custom Actions|
|CrowCanyon.Discussion.wsp||Retain (will be removed later)||Will be replaced by standard SharePoint Multiple lines of text column with “Append Changes to existing text” option|
|CrowCanyon.FieldManager.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Forms. To hide columns on the form, do not add those columns to the forms or configure column permissions as needed|
|CrowCanyon.FormsManager.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Forms|
|CrowCanyon.LicenseManager.wsp||Retain||Provides licensing functionality for Crow Canyon solutions|
|CrowCanyon.ListSearch.wsp||Retain (will be removed later)||Replaced by Crow Canyon List Search.
This can be removed once dashboard pages are updated to use new NITRO list search component
|CrowCanyon.MobileManager.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Forms and Power Portal that provide responsive forms functionality|
|CrowCanyon.PurchaseAssetLink.wsp||Retain (specific to purchasing application)||Used to create Assets from Purchase Order|
|CrowCanyon.PurchaseOrderApproverFlow.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Workflow Manager and Custom Actions|
|CrowCanyon.TaskManager.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Forms Associated Items settings and Linked Items functionality|
|CrowCanyon.TimerJobs.wsp||Retain||Used for Archival, Recurrence, and SLA features|
|CrowCanyon.URLActions.wsp||Remove||It was used for creating Change Request or Problem from Ticket form, also invoking Ticket/Assignment Actions, replaced by NITRO Forms “Allow New Item” option and NITRO Custom Actions|
|CrowCanyon.WebParts.wsp||Retain (will be removed later)||Used for Tiles and Dials on the home page, current user info filler web part. User info filler will be replaced with NITRO Forms.
This can be removed once dashboard pages are updated to use new NITRO Tiles and Dials
|CrowCanyon.WorkflowManager.wsp||Retain||This solution is updated with more capabilities and may be upgraded during the process|
|CrowCanyonBranding.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Branding|
|EasyTabParts.wsp||Retain (will be removed later)||It is used in Application Administration for tabs interface.
NITRO has a new tabs component and this can be removed once new application administration page is created.
|CrowCanyon.ConfigurablePortal.wsp||Remove||Replaced by NITRO Power Portal|
- Configure custom validations on Tickets and Change Request lists to restrict closing the item if it is awaiting approval. Remove CCS SR Event Receiver solution
- Configure Workflow Manager send mail actions for alerts configured using older Advanced Alerts solution. Remove old Advanced Alerts solution
- Configure Advanced Email on Tickets list using NITRO Email Manager
- Note: When configuring the NITRO Email Manager, we can configure the multiple mail templates and set one of them as Default Mail Template.
- Configure NITRO Forms for various lists:
- If the forms are configured using older Forms Manager solution, then configure NITRO Forms manually including any tab/column permissions and validations etc.
- If the forms are already configured using Crow Canyon Advanced Forms solution, then open the same form using NITRO Studio forms and publish
- Convert Crow Canyon Cascaded Lookup and Task Manager type of columns to NITRO model (Cross-site lookup and Associated Items/Linked Items)
- Configure Print template on standard lists like “Purchase Request”, “Purchase Order” lists
- Configure standard Batch Ticket Editor features on Tickets list using NITRO Custom Actions
- Convert any Crow Canyon Cascaded Lookup type of column to regular lookup column and then configure Lookup settings and NITRO Forms as required, remove old Cascaded Lookup solution
- Convert “Priority” Color Choice field in Tickets, Archived Tickets, Change Requests and Problems (Root Cause Tickets) lists to regular choice and configure the color using NITRO Conditional formatting feature
- If the Color KPI solution is in use, configure similar settings using NITRO Conditional Formatting and remove old solution
- If there are Ticket and Assignment actions in use, configure them using NITRO Custom Actions feature
- Configure the branding using the NITRO branding
- Install/Upgrade Configurable Portal
Important Note: All the above configurations will be done for lists that are part of Crow Canyon standard application. For any custom lists, either customer can do the required configurations or Crow Canyon can do it as part of professional services. This applies to any custom pages created by customer that are not part of standard application.
- Configure the required reports using NITRO Reports. Please refer manual
- Configure the List Views by navigating to the NITRO Site page
- Configure Tiles and Dials by navigating to the NITRO Site page
- Refer this article to create a new workspace. Add the required Tiles, Dials, List Search, Reports, Report Center etc. on the page as per the configurations done above
- Refer this guide for complete NITRO user manual